Friday, April 5, 2013

Google Earth Map Assignment 4

For this assignment, I used the map that I had already created with the Civil War battles of West Virginia, but went a step further with it.  Here, I changed my map to the KML option in Google Maps so that I could transfer it into Google Earth.  Presto!  Now my map looks like a satellite image as opposed to a road map.




Maybe its just my computer, but I really didn't notice a difference between the detail in the KML on Google Maps and Google Earth.  Also, when I looked up my house in Google Earth, the image was really old.  We're talking five years old.  I also noticed the resolution was very low when you tried to tighten up the view.  I searched around, but didn't find a way to change resolution.  Is there such an animal?  If there is, and you are reading this post, please tell me how to change it or update the date of images in a comment below. :) It would be very much appreciated.

Once again, the NETS demonstrated by this exercise are definitely 1. Facilitate and Inspire student learning and creativity.  This would be especially helpful when looking at geological features.  The detail of seeing mountains, plateaus, water depth, sand bars, etc. is really interesting.  I actually used this to look over the East Coast of the US to see where the slope of the coast and water depth are lower.  I like a wide beach with a gentle slope into the ocean.  I hate big drops!
This would also be a fun and creative way to either review or assess material taught, thereby citing NETS #2, and, of course, anytime students can see NETS 3, Model digital age work and learning being used by the teacher and better yet, they get to use it, there is going to be a positive response.  Students like using digital technology and they will pay closer attention and hopefully retain more because of the added attention and satisfaction of actually enjoying the assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment