Monday, April 1, 2013

Map Virtual Field Trip to Civil War Battle Fields in WV. Map 3

In this assignment, I created a map to go with a lesson on The Civil War.  More specifically, the location of several battles within the state of West Virginia.  My map ended up containing eleven identified battle sights. The sites are color coded and include a legend with the name of the battle and the date (month and year) that the battle took place.


This is a great thing to know how to do, and I can see where many teachers could use this, especially in the Social Studies classroom.  I'm not really sure how I would tie it into Office 2010 or Desktop Publishing, but I definitely will be showing my students how to do this toward the end of the year.  I think this would be great for them to use for projects, reports, etc.I'm sure that my students would probably be a little faster with the application than I was too.  Although, I thought this was really cool, it also took me forever to complete it.  Each time I would try to add a marker, the program kept wanting to put in advertisements along with the place that I wanted to mark.  I'm sure as I continue to use this, I will work out the kinks and figure out what I could do to avoid that. :)

The NETS demonstrated by this exercise are definitely 1. Facilitate and Inspire student learning and creativity.  It never ceases to amaze me how students excel when given new tools to work with.  I could see dividing them into groups and letting them brainstorm ways they could use this application and then turning them loose to create it!
This would also be a fun and creative way to either review or assess material taught, thereby citing NETS #2, and, of course, anytime students can see NETS 3, Model digital age work and learning being used by the teacher and better yet, they get to use it, there is going to be a positive response.  Students like using digital technology and they will pay closer attention and hopefully retain more because of the added attention and satisfaction of actually enjoying the assignment.


No comments:

Post a Comment