Saturday, March 23, 2013

Prezi

While this is not the first time I've used Prezi, it is the first time I have used it this extensively.  I chose to do my presentation on writing, because our students will be taking the Online Writing Assessment the week of 3/18-3/22.  All teachers in the school have been really working to improve writing techniques and getting the students to think in an organized fashion before they begin inputting their final draft. This seemed like the perfect platform. 

I like the flexibility of "Prezi" and the professional look of it.  I also appreciate the movement from screen to screen.  It keeps kids more focused.  Its hard to compete with the technology they have literally at their fingertips.

I like Prezi a little more than PowerPoint.  I think they are both pretty easy to use on the surface, and equally difficult when you start getting into the real meat of them.  However, both platforms are equally attainable to the average person, and I like that.  One advantage Prezi has over PP is that there is no need for additional software purchase since it is on the internet.  That also means easy access from any computer anywhere.  If you forget to upload the changes you make to a PP presentation and are in a different location and would like to work on it or show someone; Oh well, you're outta luck!  With Prezi, you can do either.

I have used both Prezi and PowerPoint with my students in class.  The preferences of my students is split at about 60/40 in favor of Prezi.  They too liked the fact that you can work on it anywhere without having to worry about carrying around a jump drive.

The ISTE NETS addressed would include #3 Model Digital Age work and learning.  Using resources to support student success and innovation. Also, I would be demonstrating fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations.  Also, 1c was well represented in this project; promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students' conceptual understanding, planning, thinking and creative processes.  If they can come up with pictures to tell a story or a process and then narrate it, they probably have the material well in hand.  I can see this being a great assessment tool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment